Kakariko Garden (Necluda)

Quickplay's are fast-paced and short-lived threads that are heavy on character and relationship development. Pick a location, then post!
Post requirements: 1 paragraph min, 4 paragraph max.
antiscrub
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs

Kakariko Garden (Necluda)

Post by antiscrub »

It was getting late in the afternoon. Not late enough to quit choring, but late enough for the residents of Kakariko to feel surly about their daily routine. And one particularly surly worker was, to most on lookers, arguing with nothing at all. To himself, however, he was arguing with an equally surly Korok, a Korok named Pogi, and nursing a welt on his shins.

“Look I’m tellin’ ya, 15 rupees is bargain enough! I ain’t going lower!” Pogi crossed his arms and pouted.

“And I’m telling YOU you’re merchandise isn’t worth crap in this town! We grow all the things we need ourselves, and we don’t grow your magic beans! What does that tell you?” the increasingly agitated gardener insisted, leaning on a large shovel.

“It tells me ya got a hole in yer economy!” Pogi retorted.

“Well it tells ME that YOU have a hole in whatever you guys have instead of a brain!” the gardener hollered. “And why did you hit me?”

“So ya could see me! It’s very important to know that yer business partner at least exists,” Pogi explained, condescendingly.

“I could already see you!”

“Then why didja ignore me?” Pogi asked.

“Because I’d be crazy to buy your frickin’ beans for 15 rupees, you little turd!”

The conversation devolved into an exchange of increasingly loud and increasingly vulgar insults to each other, until the completely exasperated man brandished his shovel menacingly.

“I oughta shovel you right out of the village!” he screamed.

“I dare ya! I double dare ya!” Pogi squeaked furiously, no longer conscious of the point of this exchange.

The yelling escalated and villagers started stopping to gawk at either the cute forest spirit or the man yelling at empty space.
Disclaimer: I don't like internet people to know my gender. TROUBLE MAKING ARBOREAL ENTITY: POGI
Pillar
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: A Garden in Kakariko(Necluda)

Post by Pillar »

Zen was making his way down the path from the Wa Estate further into town. He had just finished his after lunch training and was doing another one of his daily scans of the town. The villagers on the streets all waved and greeted the young man, returning his bright smile. He stopped to wave to a young mother’s baby when he heard the commotion further into the town. It sounded like an argument… but a heated one.

This was a job for a Courage Ranger. (though undercover, of course)

He quickly gave the baby a peck before sprinting off towards the sound of bickering that had now gotten the attention of many of the villagers. His hand rested on his sword, just in case. He didn’t expect to have to use it here, but Zen knew he should always be careful.

As he came upon one of the more lush gardens, he saw the owner, who was a grumpy man that often yelled at Zen when he and his brother cut through the garden as a shortcut. The man was arguing down at something, and upon closer look, Zen realized with great delight that it was a Korok. A Korok! The spirits of the forests! How lucky and magical! Koroks were so majestic, it was quite obvious to Zen what was going on here. The man was trying to steal from the poor thing. He was taking advantage of the cute Korok’s kindness!

“Halt!” Zen called out, walking over and placing himself between the two. “Mister… look, I know your wife left you for that really young and handsome young hylian man, but that’s no reason to take out your anger on this poor, innocent, and very cute little Korok here!” Zen, though not the sharpest tool in the shed, could at least look a bit imposing. He towered over the worker, frowning at him with crossed arms.

For a moment, he looked over his shoulder at the little Korok and winked at him.

“You okay there, little guy?”
antiscrub

Re: Kakariko Garden (Necluda)

Post by antiscrub »

Even though he clearly thought about slamming the shovel into the newcomer's face for a minute, the gardener didn't seem quite as tough in front of a 6 foot plus man as he was in front of a korok. He cooled off real quick in the face of the big intimidating gentleman who thought he was coming to Pogi’s rescue. He mumbled something about bathing the turnips and slouched off to greener pastures.

Pogi was still heated up, but now the nearest source of relief had been chased away by the well meaning young gentleman.

“Screw you, stilts!” Pogi screeched. “That coulda been a paying customer! Do you know how hard it is for me to get paying customers around here? Ya gotta hunt ‘em all afternoon, ya gotta wear ‘em down, and for a guy like me? They don’t even see ya! They don’t even hear ya! No one ‘preciates how damn hard it is to do my job, nobody! And then a dope like you comes along and ruins the whole shebang!”

He brandished his stick menacingly in the intruder’s general direction.

“I don’t even know why I bothered with this sad sack li’l village. Pfeh!” he spit on the ground. “And YOU owe me at least fif-, I mean, twenty rupees, stilts! For scarin’ off that customer! Pay up!”
Disclaimer: I don't like internet people to know my gender. TROUBLE MAKING ARBOREAL ENTITY: POGI
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

A broad grin was now plastered on the ranger’s face: Justice was served.

He turned fully now to the upset Korok, raising his eyebrows at the outburst. Poor guy, Zen thought, he was obviously very traumatized by the encounter and simply taking it out on the next person. He shook his head, still smiling, as he crouched down so he could be more eye-to-eye with the creature.

“That sounds tough… but, you know, we should always think positively! I mean, sure, that wasn’t a good situation, but we can make it into something good! Through that, we were able to meet. It’s fate! I can help you!” He looked around the area. There were still some villagers milling about, a few watching, but most going back to their business. Well, if the little Korok needed help selling his things, then Zen would help it.

“Good afternoon!” The ranger said as he stood back up, cupping his hands around his mouth. He had everyone’s attention once again. “This here is a korok! And he needs help! Who can buy some...what are those… uhhh beans! I’d be ever so grateful!” Zen then reached down to try and lift the Korok up so that everyone could see it.
antiscrub

Post by antiscrub »

The ranger successfully lifted the Korok. Pogi, refusing to attribute any word as positive as “success” to this interaction, screeched in anger, frustration, and a little bit of fear.

“What’re you doin’, nuts for brains?!” he finally articulated, flailing helplessly. “I don’t wanna be a beggar!”

“Awww, what a cutie! I’ll buy from you, widdle guy!” said one female onlooker, handing up a red rupee, which Pogi instinctively snatched, also instinctively handing a bean back down. His instincts as a businessman were well honed and beyond conscious control. The onlookers laughed good-naturedly as this type of interaction repeated itself several times over the course of a minute.

“Ooohh… I don’t like this, but…” Pogi whined, tears beginning to leak out of his mask. That was the eternal struggle of an adorable hero of the people: Pride or profit? “Boo-hoo-hoo... Woe is me..."
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

It was a beautiful moment. (At least to Zen) He held the korok high in the air as if he were a newborn lion being presented to his subjects. Zen didn’t really pay much attention to the screeches of Pogi, crediting them to simply surprise.

“Don’t worry little one, I won’t drop you.” He assured as the villagers approached them, handing off their rupees for beans. The interactions seemed quite successful, so Zen was very pleased.

However, when the korok’s voice started to whimper, the ranger turned quickly to be able to see it’s face.

“Little one, are you okay? What’s your name? I’m Zen! It’s okay, don’t cry! They won’t hurt you, I promise. Our village may have a few rude people, but in general everyone is very kind.” He then pulled the korok into his chest and hugged him tightly.

“There there, everything will be okay! Look, everyone here is so concerned about you… Do you want something to eat? Drink? I can get it for you!”
antiscrub

Post by antiscrub »

“Oooh… alright, stilts, I’ll forgive ya,” Pogi said from within the Sheikah ranger’s warm embrace (yet another indignity). “Yer right, I am a bit thirsty. Tell me, wouldja be so kind as to get yer precious little friend a nice cold glass of… eh… what do you guys get hammered with around here?”

Pogi tried to pull Zen’s face close, and whispered to him conspiratorially. “It don’t gotta be anythin’ special, just whatever’s, whatever’s well, and if you could somehow get me a bottle of whiskey, or even, even just a drop of the really good stuff, yer good buddy Pogi would be e’er so grateful.”

He wiped the tears from his eyes and turned to the ground dramatically.

“But if you’re all talk, like that customer you chased off, I’ll understand. It’s no big deal…”
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

The ranger was confused at first from the Korok’s wording, but as it was clearly spoken out in their close proximity, their faces now close enough that Zen had a zoomed in view of the pitiful tears, his heart bled.

“You poor thing.. You must be so thirsty! Of course I can help! I didn’t know koroks mainly drank alcohol. I haven’t really drank any before… is it good? We have a lot back at the house!” He set the little Korok on his shoulder for easy transport, telling it to hold on, and made his way down one of the wide paths in the village. By now, a lot of people had either witnessed what had happened, or had heard it second hand. Zen was well regarded in the village for his charm and ability, so most just brushed it off and let them be.

Zen took his new friend to the Wa Clan estate. They were one of the wealthiest families so their land was wide and there were numerous houses that made up their home. He walked through a traditional looking arch and walked right into the main house, with a few nods and smiles from servants as they did their daily duties.

After a few minutes they arrived in what appeared to be some sort of wine cellar. There were a large variety of different alcoholic beverages being housed here, as well as a cupboard that had some very old looking cups.

“I haven’t really tried anything in here… it’s mostly dad and great grandpa that use this room. Well, what are we having?” He took out a couple cups, and Zen, thinking he normally drank a lot when it came to water, got out a very large cup for himself before plopping down on the ground and setting the korok beside him.
antiscrub

Post by antiscrub »

Pogi looked worriedly at the enormous glass the big guy had gotten out for himself. He’d bet every rupee he’d made today that the guy was a lightweight. Still, that could work to his advantage. If he could just drink the guy under the table, he could make his escape without a fuss. Then again, if he really wanted to escape he could probably just make like a tree and leave after a glass of wine. No, stilts was clearly well off, and that revelation lended itself to a world of possibilities.

Well. Time to reckon with that later, Pogi figured. Pogi got up and wandered around the cellar a little bit, not entirely sure where to go from here. There sure was a lot of booze. All of the booze, in fact, all of it.

He picked something promising up off the shelf: Mead. Faron Blossom. Delicious, the taste of home. Now we’re cookin’! Pogi thought to himself.

Waddling back to the cups with mead in tow, he filled both cups, sat down, and pulled the larger cup close to himself, taking a sip.

“Oh, heavenly, jus' heavenly,” Pogi crooned, a little homesick. True, Koroks weren’t known for their tendency to imbibe alcohol, but the taste of honey and natural spices harkened back to gentler, easier times. Then again, those times were often just as lonely as times were now. Still, it was a time when he hadn’t committed unforgivable crimes against a moderately powerful mobster. It was a safer time. “Have a sip, stilts. See what you think.”
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

Zen raised an eyebrow when the little korok took the much larger cup, but he was the guest after all, so he didn’t raise any objections. Never really being one to drink himself, as he always wanted a clear head, he sniffed at the drink cautiously before taking a sip. He didn’t know what he was expecting, but it wasn’t this. It hinted at sweetness but had a nice kick to it as well. It wasn’t something that he would have chosen for himself, but not too bad. He took a much larger drink of it.

“Well.. that’s not bad at all. You know my father never told me I couldn’t drink alcohol, but just told me to be wary of it. I don’t really feel anything at all from it though. Maybe I’m immune?” He had only taken one drink, but his knowledge of the substance was lacking greatly. He finished up his smaller cup and refilled it.

“What brought you to our village? Any particular reason?” He inquired before a servant came over, without Zen having to give any orders, and placed a tray on the ground beside them with an assortment of cheeses and nuts before bowing and leaving the room.
antiscrub

Post by antiscrub »

“No, no, stilts, this ain’t like beer where ya just slug it back,” Pogi said, slugging back a couple more mouthfuls. “It’s more like wine, you gotta appreciate it. It’s like, uh,” He tried to think of an appropriate metaphor. His thoughts were starting to get a little cloudy, as he was Very Small, and of a species who did not generally indulge.

“Like a beautiful woman,” he concluded, scooting over to the plate. He shoved a mouthful of nuts in his mouth. They tasted like home, too. “Fer why I’m here… Not like I got anywhere better to be. I just go where’er and sell my stuff. Beans mostly. I used to make drugs, too, sold ‘em around Castle Town with my crew, until my buddy got killed. Then I stole all their money and ran like hell!”

Pogi cackled, hiding a tinge of sadness. He probably was getting a little too tipsy. He wouldn’t tell any of that to such a do-gooder without a little liquid courage. At least he’d managed to keep the thievery to himself.
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

“Oh… well I haven’t really had either…” Zen replied, listening intently to his drinking teacher, trying to understand what he was getting at. The woman metaphor went over his head a bit though. Sure, there were some pretty women out there. His fiancé could be considered beautiful if he really thought about it, but that didn’t really pull any special appreciation from his mind. He took another drink, ruminating on it. He was starting to feel a bit hot, and there was a bit of a redness around his cheeks.

“You know who I do appreciate? My best friend Vin. He’s so great… like, he's shorter than me, but he’s so strong and tough...and rugged. He’s got this scar over his eye but it just makes him more handsome ya know? I dunno what I would do without him. He’s the greatest…” He shared with a bright smile, dimples shining, as the alcohol made it’s way to his head.

“You’re… you’re best buddy got killed…? That’s horrible… I’m so sorry! I can’t imagine… I mean.. If anything happened to Vin I just couldn’t-- ahh…” Tears sprang up in the Sheikah’s eyes. “Well you know...I know it’s not much but I’m your friend now!” He tried to pull the korok into a big bear hug.

“I can protect you! And you’ll be safe and you’ll never hav'ta see anything bad again because that's just so sad and I don't want you to be sad!”
antiscrub

Post by antiscrub »

Truth be told, Pogi didn’t hold any significant appreciation for beautiful women either, but, he suspected, for very different reasons than this drinking buddy. Then again he couldn’t be sure. His own encounters with half-formed puppy love were fleeting and immaterial. He wondered if it was a Korok thing or if it was just him, but he was afraid to ask. No one ever talked about it anyway.

And he considered the offer. He really considered it. He could drink all day and lay around and be safe. Then again, he felt like he would just be a house pet, no more fulfilling than running drugs. This guy was no pushover, but he was weirdly innocent. As much as Pogi didn’t like this treatment, he didn’t want to get the guy involved in anything dangerous. These twin trains of thought rattled around in his brain but when they stopped, no drunks were allowed on board.

“Aw, not this again…” he grumbled, struggling against the bear hug. At least it wasn’t public this time. “What the hell kind of punch was that mead packing? Yeesh. Lemme go, big guy. I’m gonna whack ya if ya don’t.”

Pogi tried to whack him anyway.
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

“Sorry…” Zen replied as he set the Korok back down on the floor, now nursing a red cheek from the korok’s whack to the face. He rubbed it absently.

“It wasn’t the mead that punched me, it was you.” he said plainly, picking up his cup again. He squinted at the liquid inside of it, as if he were trying to see something.

“It’s so weird… I feel… I mean, I was told that alcohol can make you like… umm out of your wits? Like that, but I feel like really it’s only giving me courage? Like I feel like I can do anything right now. This is a really great feeling. You know, suddenly, I want to see my Vin. My best best friend Vin! I want to tell him how amazing he is… because he deserves it, ya know? And then you’ll seee. You’ll see why its good to stay here, because its good for Vin and you'll see and you'll see that it’ll be good for you too.” He nodded very confidently through this rambling of his. He finished off his cup and grabbed the jug of mead as he tried to push himself to his feet. He made it, and seemed very impressed with himself for doing so. He beamed down at his new korok friend.

“Pogi right? Let’s go for a walk. Its so… crowded in here, I want to see nature, and people, and Vin too. Oh! I have a brother, he’s verrry cute. He’d love you… Vin would too but Vin’s not my brother and he will never be my brother.” Zen stepped out of the room and started to head back out of the house.

“POGI! Follow mee!”